Sunday, May 26, 2013

Quiet week? Sort of...


Hi friends!

It' is a "slow time" for me, with not many gigs, but as I say that I realize time is full as ever and wonder what slow even means. It's about music, but so much more as well. My garden is off to a good start and I am looking forward to being around home a little more and growing food - for people, yes, but ALSO for the bees. Time with family as well... and looking at random old snapshots.



Dexter with Mike DiMicco and Atrie Traum, back in the day!



I have to reiterate how excited I am about the new Lionel Young CD - found a song order that sets every song on fire (to me!) We are exploring how it will be released - your ideas are welcome. Anybody out there with a big record company waiting for the next really cool thing? And making great progress with the Dexter Payne CD, that should be along this summer. Unless I get a real surprise, that will be out on the Dexofon label.

Just off the phone with Lionel, and he informed me that, in his constant rotation at the biweekly blues jam he is using, tonight, Jay Forrest and Kim Stone are his rhythm section. SO, you will find me at the Outlook Blues Jam tonight 7:30-8pm. A little reunion, as it were.

Monday (Memorial Day) will start early with a set by Boulder Samba School's Bateria Alegria not far from the finish line of the Boulder Bolder. Yes, folks, I will be playing percussion at 9:30 am in McGuckens parking lot! Whew!

Then Tuesday I am shooting a video with the usual suspects, the occasion being a cooking video with fantastic Indian chef Sunana Batra. So, soon we will have a nice video of Brazilian music, with Bill Kopper, Dave Willey, Raoul Rossiter and Victor Mestas Perez.

After a week filled with rehearsals and gardening, maybe a hike (I hope) I will go to the Cheyenne Depot Plaza Friday with Tito Malaga and his brand of Moroccan andalusian music.

Not bad for a week off! Please come out and support live music, on the ground!

Stay tuned for shows to come with all the great permutations I get to perform with: Greeley Blues Fest, Westminster Jazz Fest, Caffe Sole, Midday Music Meditation, Monday Night Music Meditation, Swallow Hill with Marrakech Express, Vail Jazz, Frasca Malaria Benefit, Thornton Concert Series, Winter Park Fest, Longmont Jazz Fest, Boulder Brazil Fest, Crestone Music Fest,   and much more!

All the best,
Dexter


No comments: