Tuesday, January 12, 2010

January is always new

Life never fails to surprise, just when I think I know the pattern it skips a stitch, or reverses completely! Had a lovely Christmas and holiday season - in spite of myself! Focused on the gates of doom closing around us all, I was repeatedly surprised by the ringing phone and found myself with opportunities to present a variety of music to all kinds of people. Isn't that what a musician lives for? (Say amen somebody!)  From the heart of Aurora to Snowmass, it was good, and now it's over. Actually, several new gigs hold promise for repeating!

January is a whole new picture. Several recording projects to work on: composer Sebastian Albu, songwriter George Inai, a new project with my very special friend, Michael Stanwood. A previous project with Dawn and David Kimble is finally coming to fruit with a new CD. Breaking new ground for this young fella is a new collaboration with another good friend, the very talented Scot Ray (Gut Puppet, Active Vapor Recovery). Doing this at home, surrounding myself with gear I barely understand and climbing the steep part of the learning curve - adding my musings and reflections to a couple of Scot's musical journeys. Ask me about it in a week or two!

Meanwhile school is in, literally. Monday was the first day of classes at Naropa University, where I am once again the fearless Director of the Afropop Ensemble. No way to know what is possible til the first day - looks like an enthusiastic crew, and with the addition of at least one "continuing ed" community member, it promises to be a rewarding adventure. Surprise of surprises, dream of dreams: I am hoping to take a semester of Musicianship from the amazing Bill Douglas. Yes, it's back to school with lots to learn!

Gigs, you say? When will I play for you? Coming right up next WED!
Don't miss it! Start a new season with the Dexter Payne Quartet featuring Bill Kopper, Francisco Marques, Raoul Rossiter: music of Brasil!


WED  Jan 20th  St Julien Hotel   (9th&Walnut, Boulder) 6:30-9:30 pm

Come in and say HI. So danca samba! Forro tambem!

Have a great week - See you next WED!
Dexter
www.dexterpayne.com
www.dexofon.com

No comments: